Sunday, March 1, 2009

in like a lion?

It sounds like everything in the studio is finally going to come together before spring break. Which means, I'll be spending my spring break sleeping on the press beds, under the pushing blankets.

They, those all-knowing weather experts, are calling for 5 to 9 inches of snow tomorrow. We'll just have to wait and see about that. I just hope, if it does happen, it is actually snow and not slush or ice. I also hope if it happens, that March will hold true to the "in like a lion and, out like a lamb" expression. I'm ready for Spring.

I've been working on a lot of mylar drawings at home, in preparation for the silk screen exposure unit's grand opening this week. I don't have photos of those now, but I will later in the week.

While inside the studio, I've been working on some monoprints on textured surfaces that will eventually get silk screened over. The print shown in this photo is for the background of the bird and mountain mylar drawings I shared in an earlier post. I spread straight matte medium on the surface of my paper like icing on a cake, building up some areas more than others. The monoprint was carefully rolled through the press four times, without waiting for the previous layers to dry. I'm very happy with the way the texture turned out, and I can't wait to see the final silk screen images on top.

Here are some details of the texture. Click 'em ...



I helped Dawn, the studio monitor and technician, with some installation of silk screen equipment. She said she would be running some tests this weekend to make sure everything is working properly, and that we should be up and running Monday afternoon. Sweet!

0 comments:

Post a Comment