Wednesday, March 11, 2009

play chain paper trail






As I said, I've been doing a lot of monoprinting, and now I finally have some photos to share. The smaller photos are details of the preceding prints. These are all works in progress, and each will get many more layers of silk screen. The past three days have been very productive with starting projects, now we'll see if I can use the next three days to finish them. All the monoprints shown here are selectively rolled colors on top of matte medium for texture. They are all part of a bigger series I am working on for my senior project. I hope to finish with about 15. The idea for this series comes from a few different sources, the biggest influence being my three trips to Norway over my 22 years of existence.



During my first trip to Norway I was about 10, the second I was around 14 or 15 and the most recent trip was the summer of 2007 when I was 20. After the last trip I found it very strange the way my perception changed with age, and how distorted my memories were of the places I visited every time. Familiar rooms grew smaller as I grew taller, the same long drives seemed lifetimes shorter as my attention span developed, and the language barrier thickened as my age hardened the cement foundation of my native tongue. The only common thread of my memory between all three visits to my grandparent's little cabin were the breathtaking landscapes. Even on a cloudy, rainy day, everything seemed so monumental or too-beautiful-to-be-true. This is why each print has, or will have Norwegian mountains in the background.



Distortion and memories are major themes in this series and that is why most of the figures are children, like the solo puddle stomper in this photo. It is actually just the preliminary mylar drawing photographed over top of the monoprint, to get a better idea of the direction I am heading with this project.





I know these all look very similar right now but, do not worry. Soon they will get the silk screening they need and will be individuals.

2 comments:

ainesse said...

Hello I just realised its your blog that I am on again through a google email alert for "monoprint', yes these are as you say just somewhat promising beginnings!! Looks like you had a good day.......cant say I have -hard to explain I am just in a peculiar head space at the moment !! Hopefully it'll pass.

Aine

Anonymous said...

very evokative art! challenges the viewer, has depth, great style!

Post a Comment